An hour after I finished yesterday's post, J's parents and I left the ranch for Merna to attend the graduation reception of a family friend. While on the gravel road, we collided head-on with a pickup truck driven by a teenager heading home. Thank God J's little brother was driving in a flatbed pickup truck behind us (he was headed into town to pick up fencing supplies) and went for help. No cell phone service on those isolated rural roads.
Several first responders arrived, followed by two ambulances. J's mom and I were strapped to backboards for the two hour trip to the North Platte hospital--one of the longest, most painful rides I've ever endured. The first responders had tried to call for a helicopter, but it was already on its way to Lincoln. J's dad was bruised, but he was able to ride in the ambulance sitting up. J's brother went back to the ranch, got in another pickup, and followed us to North Platte.
Bottom line: we're ok, and are so blessed and thankful to be alive and relatively well. We all were CT scanned and showed no signs of internal injury or broken bones. I will say that the injuries from this accident are much more painful than anything I sustained when my rear tire blew out and my truck rolled over one and a half years ago. I was able to walk away from the last accident; this time, I couldn't move afterward. My door wouldn't open and I couldn't propel myself forward to get up. Only through adrenaline and J's dad helping me crawl was I able to get out of the car. Once on the ground, I was in too much pain to move on my own. The nurses told me that the second day would be the worst, and they were right. I can barely sit up or roll over (who knew you needed your pectoral muscles for nearly everything?). My muscles are badly bruised. My stomach is swollen. My back, sternum, and ribs ache so badly right now...which probably means I should stop typing, since it hurts to raise and bring my arms forward.
Morals of the story (same as last time): hug your loved ones. Tell them "I love you" frequently. Wear your seatbelt. Live every day if it could be your last.
No comments:
Post a Comment