Friday, August 17, 2012

Trying to Keep Up

I so love being back on the ranch, but my time here frequently reminds me of how I am so out of shape. Yesterday, J and I spent a few hours hoeing and hilling up and watering trees. By the end of it, my arms were practically non-functioning, due to the lactic acid buildup, and my back ached like no one's business. This morning, J's mom and I dug up sand burr plants with a shovel. My hands are callused even though I wore gloves and my back continues to rue my existence. I am such a weakling! I'll become stronger over time, but it's frustrating to feel what an office job will do to your body...

Anyway, highlights from the trip thus far:

A family game of Monopoly  Hearing random murmuring sounds and trying to figure out what it was, only to discover Poppa Parsons holding and talking to a kitten  Momma Parsons' homemade cornbread and banana bread  The five or more kittens that have taken over the ranch and mudroom  Hanging out with Sadie  Manual labor  Finding an empty turtle shell while tromping through the meadow  Sitting in the hot tub under the night sky

Tiny, happy trees

Friendliest kitten ever...even more so than Bob

Kitten among the corn

Chickens on the loose -- one of my favorite things about the ranch

Pumpkins! And lots of watermelons too...Momma Parsons has an
incredible green thumb

J at work moving bales

The new rooster, to replace the one that kept charging Poppa Parsons

Wildflowers in bloom

Why, hullo to you too!

Butterfly in the sky, I can fly twice as high...

No comments:

Post a Comment