Hmm. Normally, I'd say something like "Blarf," but for once, that's not my reaction. My thirties have been the best time of my life and I've learned a lot over the past two years:
1. Thirty isn't old. Neither is 31 or 32. Granted, I've only realized this recently, as I spent the latter part of my twenties dreading the onset of my thirties. But it turns out that your thirties are great because you realize you’re a little more confident, a little more financially stable, and much more sure of your beliefs. You finally know who you *really* are.
I am so different from the person I was at 27 or 28. I thought I had things figured out then, but I couldn't have been more wrong. My priorities have shifted dramatically and life is much simpler now and more gratifying. And honestly, I think I look better now than I did in my twenties. If this is aging, then I'm heading over to Cracker Barrel for the early bird special. Wait, I already do that anyway. Their biscuits and gravy are the shiznit.
2. Sincerity is key. And I don't just mean saying what you mean, though that helps. I mean living a sincere, real life. A life for you and your own happiness, not a life lived for the sake of others. Not for your mother, your friends, your siblings, or even your spouse. Don't think you need to show everyone that your life or work is meaningful, or that you're having a grand ol' time. This isn't a competition. The world isn't a stage. Be the person you want to be, pursue your interests, stay true to yourself, have no regrets. And when sincerity guides your life and your interactions, those around you will respond in kind.
3. Keep an open mind and an open heart. It's in my nature to make snap judgments. I write off people quickly, I'm extremely judgmental, and I can be snarky. But I've discovered that life is so much more fulfilling when you keep an open mind and an open heart because only then can you embrace the possibilities of the seemingly impossible. Receiving love when you least expect it. Discovering strength and hope in the depths of despair. Finding friendship in the most unlikely of people and places. The most recent example of this is my friend JP. We met each other under some strange and rather uncomfortable circumstances, and we could have just left it at that. We live in different parts of the country and had no reason to talk to each other ever again. But through frank and honest conversation via email, we've moved past the initial awkwardness and have been able to encourage and confide in each other, to be sisters in faith. I am truly blessed by JP's friendship and fellowship, and am so grateful for this unexpected turn of events.
4. Expressing gratitude daily will change your life. I am a much happier person for it. Gratitude breeds contentment. I thank God for my blessings every morning and it really sets the tenor of the rest of the day.
5. Traveling abroad is the best thing you can do for yourself. I'm all about fiscal responsibility and stability, but I do think it's more important to travel as much as possible while you're young. Travel changes you. It broadens your worldview and exposes you to different thoughts and ideas and cultures, not to mention amazing architecture and history and food. It shapes the way you view yourself in relation to the rest of the world. It can make you more sophisticated and cosmopolitan and openminded. It can make you stronger. And of course, it's one of the best ways to make memories. If you wait until you're financially stable (whenever that is) or until retirement, travel will still be enjoyable but it won't have the same life altering effect.
6. My mother has been right 98% of the time. Even though she's nuts, she's usually right.
Grandpa Wu and me, Christmas 1980

No comments:
Post a Comment