Today at choir practice, the choir director pulled me aside and asked me if I wanted to accompany the youth choir on the piano next week because their regular accompanist would be out having surgery. "I'd love to," I said, and she handed me the music.
I am scared to DEATH. Yes, I accompanied J's dad when he sang at church last September, but that hymn was a walk in the park compared to this music. The youth choir director likes to make his kids sing spirituals and other pieces that have syncopated beats, difficult key signatures, and complicated time signatures--I don't think I've ever played anything in 5/2. They're actually singing a Swahili version of "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee." Seriously? I've always been a strictly classical girl, with some country/Irish fiddling thrown in there. This is definitely *not* in my comfort zone.
I think I'm going to spend the weekend holed up at the church practicing my butt off. I also need to find a metronome. Wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment