Friday, February 3, 2012

Five Things Friday

Randomness (I might try to do a themed list down the road)--

1. I hate wearing shoes in the house (it's an Asian thing). I love being barefoot, especially in the grass (not an Asian thing).

2. Samoas are by far my favorite kind of Girl Scout cookie. Tagalongs are a distant second, though they are also quite delicious. While I was growing up, I always thought Tagalongs were called "Tagalogs," Tagalog being a language spoken in the Philippines. Oops.

3. I just bought my plane ticket to Washington, DC! It's the first leg of my trip to Germany to meet J following his deployment. I'm going to catch a military flight from BWI to Ramstein, assuming all goes according to plan. Am SO excited--cross your fingers that everything works out.

4. My right leg is slightly shorter than my left. I also think my left foot is bigger than my right. Maybe that's why I'm getting a bunion on my left foot...blarf. It's strange being asymmetrical.

5. I'm addicted to the Denver Public Library. I love that I can reserve all the books I want online and pick them up in the self-service section without having to search the shelves. Amazing! This week, I borrowed Too Much Happiness, a collection of short stories by Alice Munro; A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle (a childhood favorite); 2666, by Roberto BolaƱo; Freedom, by Jonathan Franzen; and Handmade Living, by Lotta Jansdotter (I own one of her bags). Am also still making my way through Michener's The Novel. 

2 comments:

  1. I am still trying to read 2666 but it is intense. I read Freedom this year and found it to be beautifully written but rather aimless and dull. I can't seem to get myself excited about Jonathan Frantzen (unlike everyone else out there, it seems).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've always thought the same thing about Frantzen. I've read such great reviews about his work, which is why I'm giving Freedom a chance, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Freedom is definitely aimless, and I find myself constantly flipping ahead to see if the chapter I'm on will ramble much further...

      Delete