Sunday, December 11, 2011

Status Update: A Mighty Good Day

Apologies for another long absence, dear readers. It's been both a busy and trying week, what with me trying to attend various social events/endless rehearsals and forestall the weepiness that seems to have become my norm as of late, all while adjusting to my new work environment. Not to mention that I had to vacate my apartment for six days due to the noxious paint fumes emanating from the apartment below (good news: the douchebag who lived downstairs moved out). I feel like I've been running around like a madwoman, shuttling back and forth between apartments--I've been crashing downtown at the apartment of J's college friend MD--and I'm just now getting a chance to breathe. Still, better for me to be busy and distracted than to be preoccupied by J's absence. Today marks three months to the day that J started his deployment.

This past weekend was all about choir, church, and family. J's parents and sister arrived in Denver last night, and it was so great to have them in town--dinner in LoDo with MD, church this morning, a quick lunch at the Brown Palace, and the Christmas concert. I only wish their visit could have been longer. When it was time for J's parents to leave today, I fought the urge to hop in their truck and drive back with them to Nebraska. But as much as I miss my in-laws and the ranch, today was a good day--singing in the Christmas concert was so much fun, the Magnificat sounded amazing, and I officially became a member of Trinity UMC.

At the end of this morning's service, Pastor M introduced me (and my in-laws) to the entire congregation and spoke at length about my wonderful experience with the church, about how I was fortuitously introduced to the choir director and joined the choir within 24 hours of my first visit, and about how J couldn't be present because he was in Afghanistan. I did the affirmation of faith with Pastor D, the congregation did their response, and I became a member. Hugs all around. I thought that was the end of it, except then Pastor D announced to the congregation that I'd be standing at one of the doors with Pastor M so that everyone could meet me on their way out. Um, what? I must have had a really startled look on my face because I heard a few chuckles out in the pews. But I really enjoyed greeting everyone--I ended up talking and shaking hands with literally half the congregation. It's a good thing I'm not a germophobe.

I didn't realize that my joining Trinity would be such a big deal to so many people. Granted, I've become close to Trinity's pastors and choir director within a short period, but I didn't expect that throngs of people would congratulate me throughout the day and exude so much excitement. I guess I thought I'd just become a member and fade into the background--after all, it's a huge church...but no such thing. I suppose I'm glad to have made an impression on people though. We'll see where it takes me next.


A few random seconds of the Magnificat (footage by J's mom):

No comments:

Post a Comment