Sailing across the Irish Sea
Arriving in Dublin
After disembarking in Dublin, we spent the first day driving across the Irish countryside toward the Cliffs of Moher on the western coast. For people who have seen Nebraska's grasslands wither into a desiccated, brown landscape during the winter months, Ireland's still verdant pastures were such a refreshing sight. What a place to raise livestock, never having to worry about droughts or rainfall or feeding hay due to a lack of grass. And such wonderfully constructed stone walls! No barbed wire or fence posts crisscrossing the landscape. Then again, stone walls may be sufficient to keep sheep from wandering but not cows. They'd push through the stones in a matter of days.
"Thanksgiving lunch" of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, and LOTS of potatoes at the Gannon Inn
The next morning, we drove half an hour to the Cliffs of Moher. The weather was bone chillingly cold and the sky overcast, but we braved the bitter wind and took in stunning views of the cliffs shrouded in fog until the sun came out and warmed us up a bit. I discovered that I am much slower walking uphill as a pregnant woman and that my Hunter wellies (rain boots) were heavy.
Cliffs of Moher
The Burren
Poulnabrone dolmen
I randomly selected the town of Trim, about 40 minutes outside of Dublin, as our next overnight stop. We chanced upon a beautiful B&B (that luckily had an available room!), dropped off our bags, and ate another delicious dinner at The Stockhouse before calling it a night. I don't think we've had anything less than a fantastic meal in Ireland.
The next morning, after an abundant Irish breakfast complete with tea and fresh squeezed orange juice, we toured the ruins of Trim Castle, a Norman castle built in the 12th century and conveniently located across the street from the B&B. J and I do love our history, but it was also the chance for Kiddo to run around and burn off some energy.
Trim Castle
Before heading to Dublin for the night, we visited Newgrange, a 5,200 year old Neolithic passage tomb located in the Boyne Valley.
It may look huge from the outside but Newgrange (and the other tombs) is literally a giant mound of dirt. The internal chamber barely holds ten people. Photos of the interior weren't allowed, sadly.
J and I have been amazed repeatedly by the depth and variety of history that Ireland (and the United Kingdom in general) has to offer. I do wish we had more time to explore Ireland, but we are more than blessed to have traversed the country and experienced so much during the past few days.
Next up: Germany for one week. J will be at a training while I attempt to navigate Stuttgart with Kiddo and keep her entertained. Stay tuned.
Dublin at night
One of many ancient tombs in Wales




















No comments:
Post a Comment