Monday, August 10, 2015

Seoul Glow

So I suppose it bears mentioning to you readers (all two of you) that we're in Korea right now. J is here for work for three weeks and baby and I are tagging along. For security purposes, I probably shouldn't disclose exactly where we are, but we've been spending our weekends in Seoul. Last weekend, we explored Gyeongbokgung Palace and Namdaemun (the South Gate of Seoul's ancient fortress wall) with our guide, P, J's friend and former colleague while he was down range. P is Korean American and took us to several of his favorite restaurants, which didn't disappoint.

Seoul is amazing: think New York City, sophisticated and cosmopolitan but cleaner, friendlier, more efficient, and more kid-friendly. An oversimplification, to be sure, but it’s difficult to describe why I love this city so much. The subway system runs on time and is super clean. There are coffee shops and pastry shops on every city block. The food is fantastic -- even the food served in the food courts at the various malls is far superior to most restaurants in the States. Throughout the city, there are restaurants that specialize in only one perfected dish.

But it's more more than just the food. There’s a history and vibrance that I've missed terribly (and that Denver clearly lacks). The Korean people have experienced immense struggles and rebuilt this city out of ashes following the war. Their resilience and strength is incredible. We have several more weeks here, and one of the top places I want to visit is the War Memorial Museum.

We're back in our smaller town now, but I can't wait to see what else we discover.


















No comments:

Post a Comment