And two years ago today, you showed up on my doorstep, a completely unexpected and undeserved gift. I'm so glad that you took a chance and put your hand on mine (even if I don't remember the first time you did it). You even danced with me! I know how much courage (and alcohol) that took. I know how much you don't like to dance, let alone to hip hop, let alone with a girl you'd only met a few hours earlier. And then we spent the night talking and getting to know each other, until you had to catch a plane to Okinawa. It was the start of the most exhilarating happiness I've ever felt. Hard to believe that so much time, and yet so little time, has passed since that day. Even on that first night, I felt like I'd known you my entire life and with each new day, I believe more and more that you are my soul mate, as cheesy as that may sound. You are too perfectly and uncannily matched to me for this to be coincidental, not that I believe in coincidences anyway. Did you ever think that you'd find someone who, as a child, not only loved bluegrass and Star Trek and Tolkien and the agrarian ideal, but who also obsessed over human anatomy transparency overlays in outdated encyclopedias? I certainly didn't. And those aren't even the important things, but they are part of what makes you so special.
In three months and three days, I get to marry you (again) and become Mrs. Parsons. Sooooo excited for that...especially because I'll get a real kick out of telling people over the phone that my name is Sylvia Parsons and seeing their shocked faces when they meet me in person and find an Asian girl standing in front of them. Okay, so part of me still wants to cancel the whole party/wedding/shindig and just elope, but I know it's important that we celebrate our marriage and togetherness with our nearest and dearest. Because that's what this life is all about, isn't it? Coming together and bonding over love and friendship and family and community. We had our private moment together, just the two of us, and it was wonderful and intimate. Now it's time for us to share that happiness with those around us--I'm overflowing with it, so I have plenty to give. Plus, what else would we do with the 70 gazillion Mason jars sitting in the basement? A lot of canning and industrial light fixtures, I suppose.
In the words of Little Nutbrown Hare, darling, I love you
[--------------------------------------this much---------------------------------------].
Except more than that. Beyond the moon and beyond the trip back. I'm sure I could slip in a nerdy astronomy reference right about now. I love you more than I will ever be able to tell you or show you, but I will spend the rest of my life trying to be the best wife, lover, and friend that I can be, that you deserve. I love you to pieces.
Love always and forever,
me
Our grove: if you squint, you can see a firefly on the right.

No comments:
Post a Comment