Sunday, May 20, 2012

Overwhelmed (and Switzerland)

One week of silence, blarf. Blogger fail.

It's safe to say that I've been completely overwhelmed by work. Not only do I face a steep learning curve but my team's schedule closely tracks the workstream of merger and acquisitions (M&A) associates at the big law firms, which means unpredictable hours and calls and emails at random hours of the night. I honestly don't think I've worked *this* hard or been so stressed since my law firm days. Despite the past two months of vacation and travel, my mind and body weren't quite ready for such a frenetic pace.

Additionally, I'm venturing into unfamiliar territory. Though I did practice corporate transactional law at PW, I worked on merger agreements for, like, one hot minute. I focused on private equity and securities matters then and even that was eons ago. M&A is its own animal, and it'll take me time to acquaint myself with the language and deal structures. Mostly though, my anxiety comes from trying to be perfect under pressure--every assignment I'm given is due ASAP and needs to be error free because it will be sent to the client almost immediately. Because I'm only in my second week on the job, my immediate superiors review my work before it goes live, but this won't always be the case. I find the idea of running my own deals and handling clients with no backup--which my bosses expect that I'll be able to do in short order--to be extremely daunting. Kind of makes me want to curl up under my desk and hide. Sigh. At least I have some great coworkers, in addition to my amazing friends and family, to keep me sane.

On a completely unrelated note, I realized I hadn't posted any pictures of J's and my time in Switzerland, so here are a few random pictures. Let's just say I'd rather be there right now...










No comments:

Post a Comment