I'm feeling a bit depressed, I'll admit. J and I won't see each other for the next three months--it's possible that he could return to the States briefly for a flight physical or for his heart surgery but most likely, J will take terminal leave (he has thirty or so days saved up) and will move here at the end of July. I know that it's *only* three more months of separation, and what's three months after six months of deployment?
Still, it's a slight shock to my system, seeing as how we've been together 24/7 since late March. My apartment feels empty--just 520 square feet and it still seems too big for me. Separation sucks, no matter how short the duration. I've been the happiest girl in the world because J's smiling face was the first and last thing I saw every morning and night. I loved being able to hug and kiss him whenever I wanted. I loved that we were able to share everything with each other. The past two months have been a wonderful preview of what our life together will be like and it hurts every time this happiness is taken away from me.
But I shouldn't complain--we traveled to so many countries and made so many memories together during this past visit. Europe was amazing and Baltimore and Denver were loads of fun, as was the time spent on the family ranches in Nebraska and Nevada and at our friends' wedding in California. And there will be time to make many more memories, I know. Just three more months until I get my J back for good. As J said to me yesterday, "Our adventures are actually just beginning" and he's right, of course.
Anyway, I should get ready for tomorrow. I'm a little nervous and unsure what to expect--corporate law, here I come...again (gulp). In the meantime, here are a few photos from our time on Grandpa and Grandma P's ranch in Nevada. J and I had a blast hanging out with the old folks; taking long walks with Bebe, the big black dog; tromping around the old homestead and Willow Creek Ranch; and shooting shotguns. We'll have to do it again soon.
On the road from Reno
Sand Mountain, east of Fallon on Highway 50
Austin, pop. 192, is the town nearest to Grandpa and Grandma P's ranch
Austin, a living ghost town
Grandpa and Grandma's stone house, built at the end of the 19th century
Wall made of mud and branches
An amazing corral, built by Grandpa Wes
The Willow Creek Ranch, where J lived until age five
The house in which J grew up (that's his sandbox beneath the windows)
Me shooting a .410
There's lots of cool, old stuff lying around the ranch
Antelope sighting!












No comments:
Post a Comment