Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Taste of Munich

Looking back at previous posts, I've noticed that I make snap judgments [J's sardonic response: "No, really?"]. I can't help it--I either love a city immediately (New York City) or I'll find fault with it every few seconds and complain about it endlessly (Boston). Munich happened to be one of the latter for me, I suppose because much of the city's history was destroyed during World War II and was replaced with touristy reproductions or with department stores. But despite its shortcomings, Munich wasn't without its charms, the Viktualienmarkt being the main draw for J and me.

The Viktualienmarkt was just the first of numerous markets and beer gardens that J and I have frequented during this trip--we've managed to eat at a food or Easter market in every city that we've visited. What can I say? We're casual people who much prefer to walk around and eat street food, or buy salamis and cheeses and breads from local purveyors, than to dine in fancy brick and mortar establishments. That's not to say that we haven't done our share of fine dining, but we appreciate the freedom of being able to sit outdoors, people watch, and enjoy a wide selection of food all at the same time. No waiters, no table service, no tipping, no judgment. And who doesn't love a beer garden? I love Europe.


My favorite thing about Europe -- I love meat

Wasabi cheese? Yum

Gorgeous produce

Potted lavender plants smelled amazing

Dried chilies at the Mediterranean olive and hummus stand

Spring has clearly sprung

More cheese

Bite sized salami in the shape of pralines -- brilliant!

The guy in the baseball cap drank five beers. I think he was an operative,
waiting for a drop. Or else he was just waiting for his wife to finish shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment