As I sit here in the USO Lounge at BWI Airport (yes, apparently dependents *do* have access to the lounge), I'm already missing so much about my former hometown.
I miss my people. My former roommates ST and SM. My fantastic Specter colleagues who have become such dear, lifelong friends. Several of us spent yesterday night at Union Pub catching up and reminiscing. It's only been fifteen months since the Specter office closed its doors, but I'm struck by how much life has changed since then. Of the four girls present last night, three of us have since gotten married and the fourth is getting married in May. My formerly cranky colleague JM is now a father to an adorable baby girl. Our flomo (floor monitor) is now a lobbyist. But we all agreed that if we could turn back time, we'd return to the Specter office in a heartbeat. We miss the camaraderie and the craziness of those stressful, heady times, of being in the trenches together. And Senator Specter was a damn good boss.
I miss the food. The baby octopus and flaming cheese at Cava. The mac 'n cheese and sesame snow peas at Hank's Oyster Bar. Ben's Chili Bowl at 3am. By the way, check out $1 oysters at Hank's during happy hour. ST and I may have housed thirty West Coast oysters yesterday.
I miss mobility. Walking from my house to the farmers market only a few blocks away. Running along the Mall and around the World War II Monument at 5:30am. Hopping on the metro to anywhere I needed to go. Ironically, I used to complain constantly about having to wait eighteen minutes for a Red Line train--I didn't know how good I had it.
I miss DC in the springtime. The dogwoods, the magnolias, and the cherry blossoms that dot the city. The tulips and daffodils and crocuses planted by the Architect of the Capitol. I'd forgotten that when the snow melts and the skies clear, this city is stunningly beautiful.
And lastly, I miss a sense of security. I feel so much safer walking by myself around DC at 11pm than I do on the 16th Street Mall at 5pm. I bought my first canister of pepper spray when I moved to Denver's version of Capitol Hill and my spider sense is always on high alert. But I think things will be different once J comes home and we move to a different part of town.
Despite my nostalgia, I do think Denver is the right place for J and me. But I think there will be many occasions for us to visit DC in the future--look out for our return.
Oysters on the half shell at Hank's Oyster Bar
No comments:
Post a Comment