March is slowly coming upon us--I know, I know, it's only February 4th--and J and I have cautiously begun to talk about our upcoming travel plans. I hate to say too much for fear of jinxing ourselves, but I'm bubbling over with excitement.
I just booked a one-way flight to Reagan National for mid-March and will spend a few days in DC catching up with my lovely former roommates ST and SM and other friends while also trying to get on a Space-A flight from BWI Airport. I'm hoping to reach Germany before J does so that I can greet him at the PAX terminal but when it comes to timing, one never knows with the Air Force. Fingers crossed.
For the first week or so after J gets back, I don't think we'll go anywhere--J will probably have to inprocess, turn in his weapons, fill out paperwork, and do things like find his car and see if it works. Plus, I think we'll just want to hole up for awhile and get reacquainted. Watch movies. Venture out to the Himalayan restaurant that we love. But following that, we're thinking about a trip to Vienna and Salzburg, which we've always wanted to see--Vienna because it's the heart of 18th and 19th century European history, music, and culture; Salzburg because it's the home of Mozart...and the Sound of Music! I hear there are Sound of Music tours--J's cousin's husband went on such a tour because his mom made him and he told me, "I enjoyed the hell out of it, even though I was the youngest person on the tour by 40 years. We sang all the songs together. It was hilarious and amazing." Not sure if we'll want to do that, but it's a thought.
J and I have also started talking about a trip to England, possibly this summer. During his deployment, J has worked with and befriended a few Brits, all of whom have extended invitations to visit. I've been to London twice but haven't yet visited the English countryside--we want to see the rural lands where the James Herriot novels are set, which would be amazing. Two of my former law firm colleagues and very close friends also live in London, as does as my best friend from college, so it'd be great to catch up with them as well.
But this is still very tentative. As with all things military, our plans could change at a moment's notice. Always fun to daydream though.
Summer Olympics are in London this year. Be prepared for infrastructure insanity.
ReplyDeleteCrap, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder--we may have to shift our plans...
ReplyDelete