Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Happy Birthday to You

Hey there, love--

Today is your birthday. Yet another birthday and Christmas that you've had to celebrate overseas, separated from family and far away from home. And "celebrate" probably isn't the right word, seeing as how you've worked 12 hour shifts on your birthday for the past three years. But this year was better than last--we were able to talk for over an hour this morning before you left for work, and I loved that we were able to open your birthday presents together on Skype. The Internets was mediocre speed, the delay wasn't too terrible, and your roommate didn't return early and interrupt our conversation. This counts as a win in my book.

And then off you went to work. Just another day in the desert. As you've said, every day there is Monday. I know you--you'll go about your business, working diligently as usual, and no one will know it's your birthday. You've always been so humble and modest, and it's one of the many things I love about you.

But here I am, telling the world that on this day, you were born 28 years ago. Because I am so very proud of you--not just of what you do now, but of the person you are and always have been. In addition to being witty and thoughtful and kind and romantic, you hold deeply rooted dreams and morals and values. I know you have struggled with the latter over the years, but I admire you so much for always striving to do right and to be a person of integrity, as well as for having the wherewithal to challenge yourself and constantly search for something deeper and more meaningful. And I promise that this search will always be an endeavor that we undertake together. I've struggled with these issues too. You embody all of the best qualities I could ever hope to find in a friend, lover, and husband. I know you will always disagree, but I am the lucky one. Lucky that you chose me.

Happy Happy Happy Birthday, my darling--next year will be the best one yet. I'm so proud to call you my husband and can't wait to grow old with you. I love you to pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Love this--what a woman you are and what a LUCKY man he is!! You are so faithful and this is a wonderful tribute!!! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be "...*lucky* woman you are" in my previous post. ;)

    ReplyDelete