Monday, December 1, 2014

Change Change Change

Happy December! Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving. Where did the time go? For me, it's disappeared into full-on baby care. Our life during the past month and a half:

1. We have a baby. Childbirth is the worst pain I have ever felt. Thank God for extremely short labor (three hours) and epidurals.

2. I discover that breastfeeding fulfills my expectations as the weirdest thing ever.

3. I learn how to feed, burp, and change a baby in the middle of the night. Luckily, baby turns out to be a good sleeper (we're talking five to six hours at night).

4. The in-laws come to visit one day after we leave the hospital. Mother-in-law changes her plans and hangs out longer than expected. I try to stifle my irritation.

5. I have a few meltdowns about parenthood and my life being irrevocably altered.

6. We buy a coffee table.

7. My parents visit for five days. My tongue is sore from having been bitten too many times.

8. My parents scratch the coffee table.

9. We scratch the coffee table.

10. We take baby out for the first time to dim sum for lunch and to Banzai Sushi for dinner. She melts down at the end of both meals.

11. Baby turns one month old.

12. An attempt at bottle feeding fails miserably. Turns out baby is too much like her mother--when presented with the easy way out, she becomes extremely lazy and doesn't want to return to the method that requires work. After 24 hours of misery, I get baby back on track with nursing.

13. Baby suddenly starts sleeping less at night and screaming like a banshee during the day. I want to tear out my hair. This lasts for a week.

14. We discover the joys of the pacifier, thanks to my friend SW. We also start putting baby to bed earlier. Life slowly returns to our new normal.

15. Baby turns six weeks old. Will she start smiling or will she be a skeptical, frowning child like her mother?

It's been an interesting, roller coaster of a journey thus far. I've had my (many) moments of "Who thought this was a good idea?" But there are good moments as well. We're hanging in there, one day at a time.

Baby S, two days old and scowling already.
She is her mother's daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment