Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I'm Still Alive

Yikes, I've been MIA. I blame illness and well, just living life. J and I have been doing our best to tour the area and hang out with friends as much as possible, seeing as how we only have one month left here. Crazy how time flies. Anyway, far better for me to spend my time on the beach than in front of a computer, though let's not pretend that I don't spend a good part of the day tied to my laptop.

But back to the illness bit--a few weeks ago, J and I spent a lovely MLK weekend with my aunt and cousin up at Half Moon Bay and San Francisco, followed by an amazing lunch of lobster rolls with friends in Portola Valley. Unfortunately, my aunt's months-long nagging cough settled in my throat and lungs almost immediately thereafter, and I was dreadfully sick for a good ten days or so. I spent all of last week hacking up my lungs and unable to croak more than a few words without exploding into a fit of coughing. It was awful (and disgusting for J, I imagine). I couldn't sleep, couldn't breathe, couldn't swallow without pain. We even cancelled a trip to see my parents because I was in no condition to travel. Anyway, I'm finally starting to feel normal again, though I haven't totally beat the cough. Yesterday was the first day that my throat didn't feel like it was about to spasm every time I inhaled. Moral of the story, respiratory infections suck.

Otherwise, things are good. J completed the first part of his training. We've made a few day trips to Santa Barbara, Arroyo Grande, and the beaches. I scarfed down some of the best oysters I've ever had. My banjo skills are coming along. I can't complain.

I haven't had time to offload my photos, but here are a few I took of the local area before the illness hit--

Jalama Beach -- we found out there was a $10 fee to use the beach and turned around 

Flower fields outside of Lompoc 





View of the ocean from near the launch sites

Every so often, I catch a glimpse of this guy but have never been able to get a photo, until now --
I've named him "Kevin" (yep, after the bird in Up

More coyote sightings in broad daylight 

Quail scurrying away from me

No comments:

Post a Comment