Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday Follow-up

TGIF.

It's been a hectic and somewhat stressful week, but Friday's off to a good start. I've settled into a morning routine of oatmeal, meditation, green tea, long-ish walks through the park in the middle of base, and the occasional foray to the gym. Getting up early and adding consistency to my morning have done a lot to keep me sane and improve my mood. By the end the work day, well, that's another story.

Work has been way too busy. My coworker was fired a few days after New Year's, so I'm now doing her job in addition to my own. Given the time sensitive nature of her work, my own assignments are taking a back seat and I'm falling behind. Not pleased. More to the point, I'm unhappy that they fired her because she was also my friend and a great lawyer. She was fired for the wrong reasons (in my opinion) and without any thought as to how her termination would affect the department (the department consisting of my boss and me). We're all struggling to stay afloat.

Still, I've found time to keep most of my resolutions. I've read the Bible and meditated daily, and studied Tagalog and played the banjo almost every day. Studying Chinese and writing have fallen by the wayside, unfortunately. I should work on fitting them in, though there really are only so many hours in the day. That's a bad excuse; I just have to cut back on my time wasted on Facebook and reading news I don't need.

Forcing myself to drive every day has been painful. I'm a nervous driver when there's even light traffic and I really hate driving at night. And driving around curves. And changing lanes. And parking. I'm seriously terrible at all of the above. I'm not even good at staying in my lane. J thinks I'm crazy, but I really want to get this magnet so people don't think I'm drunk:


I don't mind driving around base at least, mostly because the speed limit is 25 mph in most places.

Otherwise, life is good. Temperatures hovered in the upper 70s this week. Dare I say it? It was (almost) too hot. Weather aside, it'll be hard to leave Vandenberg for Denver. I really love living on base--fresh air, wilderness, sunshine (our room has large windows facing south and east), peace and quiet due to the paucity of traffic, an amazing gym within walking distance. I've even become accustomed to the lack of a kitchen and have made up for it with lots of green smoothies and crock pot soups. Most of all, after working remotely for almost one year now, I'm dreading my return to the office and commuting and the loss of flexible hours. But I really shouldn't be worrying about the future just yet. Old habits.

Happy weekend, y'all.

Morning view from our window

No comments:

Post a Comment