Tuesday, November 12, 2013

When You Leave Amarillo (Turn Out the Lights)

It's getting real. Our studio is empty, save for our suitcases and backpacks, some kitchen odds and ends, and an air mattress. Strange to think that I won't be sleeping in my own bed for the next six to ten months.

The movers came yesterday, and they did a remarkable job packing up our things and stacking the boxes into a Jenga-like tower in our storage space. I'm still amazed that everything actually fit into a 7 x 10 foot unit. We're still trying to Tetris a year's worth of clothing, uniforms, musical instruments, and randomness into the back of our little Prius-C, but I think the worst is over (my bike is NOT coming with us). Many thanks to my wonderful husband for overseeing the process, as I was frantically working away on my laptop and had to run to a doctor's appointment while our four Mexican American movers tore apart the apartment. Work has really picked up and this isn't the best time for me to be taking off for a few days, but c'est la vie.

While I'm glad to be moving on, there are definitely a few things I'll miss:

1. our friends
2. Singhs Vietnamese food truck, especially its congee and fried oysters



4. the year-round farmers market at the Pearl
5. Central Market -- the best supermarket EVER
6. cheap gas -- yesterday, we were able to find gas for $2.85 on Austin Highway
7. the ducks living on the river walk



8. festivals (strawberry, fiddle, corn, peach, etc.) -- you name, Texas has it.


It's no coincidence that half of this list consists of food related items.

And the things I won't miss:

1. crazy drivers cutting us off on the interstate
2. people driving 70 mph within the downtown limits
3. breathing in car exhaust from the traffic on Broadway and I-35
4. the loud poolside dance music -- I did win my battle with building management by finding the control panel and sneaking downstairs to turn off the speaker system on a daily basis. Still, whenever I hear "Blurred Lines" or "Clarity" or "Sweater Weather," I want to scratch out my eardrums.
5. the lack of good sushi
6. our numerous neighbors who smoke
7. the raucous sausage fest parties at the pool during the summer
8. living in a studio

Headed to base lodging tomorrow. I'm ready to get on the road.

1 comment: