Wednesday, October 2, 2013

On the Past Few Months

Good morning, world! I just had a cup of coffee and I feel amazing. I'm a green tea drinker, mostly for health reasons (and because I'm Chinese, hello?), but on the rare occasions that I do indulge in the roasted bean, I enjoy the caffeine kick more than I should. Local Coffee brews their stuff strong and smooth, and it's a delight.

Hard to believe that J and I only have six more weeks in Texas...that is, if this government shutdown shenaniganry and budget mess don't affect J's training class. With or without the morass, we still know better than to hold our breath when it comes to all things Air Force. We're cautiously optimistic (we have orders) and are excited to spend four months in southern California--Pacific Ocean, here we come! The change of scenery will be good for both of us, though honestly, how much time have we actually spent in Texas? But like I said, we're managing our expectations.

My back is beginning to show signs of improvement. The pain has gradually abated, thanks to physical therapy, constant stretching, and time. I've been cleared to practice yoga again. There's a studio nearby that I've been meaning to try. Did I ever tell you about my pipe dream to certify as a yoga instructor? I need to become stronger first.

The daily grind of legal work continues. Frankly, I'm amazed that I've lasted this long at my company--one year and five months, to be exact. Aside from my stint at the Specter office, this might be the longest I've stayed at one job. Closing in on a new record for me, that's exciting, I guess. Working from home and distracting myself with creative outlets have helped. My attempts to write a book continue, though non-academic writing has proved extremely challenging. I know what I want to convey but I'm just not good at describing the feelings, emotions, and stories inside me. I'm always grasping for words and phrases, and the few paragraphs that can be wrung from my brain are stilted and awkward at best. Being a prodigious reader, I can recognize good writing and I can smell bad writing. Mine happens to be the latter. Frustrating.

J bought me a banjo yesterday. Just an inexpensive, starter banjo, but it's a banjo. There's a music school across the street from our apartment complex and I'll take lessons for the next six weeks until we move. It'll be good to have someone show me the basics of chords and picking patterns. I love love love bluegrass and all banjo music...hopefully, my fingers will do what I tell them.

So life continues. I'm hopefully through a period of anxiety and depression and emotional tumult and am making my way toward inner calm and equilibrium. Thankful to all for the support and prayers.

Happy Hump Day to you and yours.

Saturday night at the VFW

No comments:

Post a Comment