Monday, August 12, 2013

Minneapolis Wedding Weekend

We're back from a wonderful 24 hours in Minneapolis! J and I trekked out to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for the wedding of my amazing college friend JN. I've known JN since my sophomore and her freshman year at Yale, and she is one of the most generous, kind, loyal, brilliant, and modest people I know. I was so thrilled when she told me about her engagement, and was honored to witness and share in her and ML's special day. I didn't get good photos of the festivities (trying to stay in the moment rather than focus on capturing it, etc.), but trust me when I say JN looked stunning in both of her dresses. J and I had a great time, despite not being able to dance much because of my spinal fractures.

In the few hours that J and I had before and after the festivities, we discovered that Minneapolis is a surprisingly cool and quirky town. Maybe I'd set expectations too low, given my experiences in other mid-sized Midwestern cities--and really, all I knew about Minneapolis prior to this weekend was that it's home to the Mall of America--but we really loved what we saw of the city. Birdhouse sized borrowing libraries scattered throughout. The Sculpture Garden. Gorgeous and accessible lakes everywhere. Good public transportation (they have a light rail to the airport!). Amazing independent bookstores and restaurants. Too much fun. I guess it didn't hurt that it was a good 30 degrees cooler than San Antonio. Not sure we have any real reason to return, but we'd love to go back and spend more time in Minnesota and on the lakes if we have the time...

On the Nicollett Mall

Lawn bowling at Brit's Pub

J was really excited about his Cornish pasty

Scotch eggs = hardboiled eggs wrapped in sausage and deep fried = amazingness

It was a beautiful day

Thirsty Parsons

Took us a few seconds to figure out he wasn't real

Interfaith ceremony

Our 5am departure from San Antonio caught up with us...

Still awake enough for a few smiles

Super cute table assignments

J wishing Grandpa Parsons a happy 83rd birthday during cocktail hour

Traditional Korean ceremony...

...followed by the hora

No comments:

Post a Comment