Monday, June 24, 2013

Texas Travels: Weekend in Fredericksburg

Since we moved here, J and I've received numerous recommendations to visit Fredericksburg, only two hours outside of SA, for its shopping and quaintness. Turns out, we liked it mostly for the fantastic and unexpected Museum of the War of the Pacific that we had no idea existed until we arrived; everything else felt overly touristy and expensive (how many art galleries does a town need?!). Fredericksburg has good bones--the original stone buildings have so much character--but it's not small town America in the way that I know and love. The sidewalks were choked with tourists and the stores hawked overpriced "vintage" and "Western" goods. Nothing old is actually old anymore. I will say that I love Fredericksburg's numerous and cute B&Bs and guest houses (I forgot to take pictures of our cute little guest house), which were a refreshing change from the usual hotel chains, though even they were a bit pricey during the weekends and some require a two-day minimum stay.

But back to the museum: I'm not good at pontificating about war, but the museum was an exhaustingly detailed and amazing tribute to the hundreds of thousands of men who gave their lives. It's difficult to wrap my mind around the scope of suffering--especially in the cases of the American POWs captured and tortured by the Japanese, some for years--but the least we can do is honor those who sacrificed so much and ensure that future generations will never forget.

We started out at the Admiral Nimitz Museum, which was formerly
a hotel owned by Adm Nimitz's grandfather

Wall honoring the fallen heroes of WWII


Japanese Peace Garden


A quick lunch break -- J giving me the skeptical Wu look

Growlers at the Fredericksburg Brewing Co.

Verein Kirche (or a replica of it, anyway)

Interior of the Java Ranch coffee shop

Another section of the mural

Wagon wheel bench -- need to get J on that...

I love Texas

Outside the Museum of the War of the Pacific

Inside the Pearl Harbor gallery


Drinks and dinner at Hondo's

And back at the museum again -- we spent two days there

Rear exit of the museum

No, that's not my beer

No comments:

Post a Comment