Happy 2013, everyone!
I'm so excited that a brand new year stretches before us. J and I started 2013 off right by sleeping in on New Year's Day and taking a long, leisurely walk in the sunshine before catching the tail end of the Nebraska-Wisconsin game (the Huskers lost unsurprisingly). I also made it to the gym, and it felt good. Really good.
I love the feeling of anticipation that comes with new beginnings, and I love making lists (dorky, I know). How did I do with last year's resolutions? Well, I read more books than I did during the previous year, though not nearly enough. I learned to knit and crochet. I played piano more frequently than I had in years and accompanied Trinity UMC's children's choir. I read the Bible daily for about three-quarters of the year. On the other hand, I didn't limit my computer time nor did I learn how to sew. The spending freeze ended when I left for Europe in March. And I'm now in the worst shape I've been in ten years. All in all, I'd give myself a B.
So here are my resolutions for 2013:
1. Keep a positive attitude at all times. Laugh and smile more. Need to work extra hard on this one--I had some pretty dark moments last year.
2. Practice the mandolin and violin regularly. Music makes me happy.
3. Read 25 books. That's nowhere near my friend AC's astounding 150 books per year (she's a brilliant cookie), but it's a start.
4. Live well. Eat less sugar. Meditate. Run. Work out at least four times per week. My apartment complex has a gym, and I have no excuse not to use it.
5. Write daily. Even just a few sentences.
6. De-clutter and donate. I have too much stuff. Period.
7. Spend only on necessities. Every dollar unspent is a dollar directed toward paying off my student loans and achieving financial freedom.
8. Do something creative every day. It's good for the soul.
I love, love, love the beginning of a new year and I'm so glad to see someone else who likes making resolutions! Made my list of goals on New Years Day.
ReplyDeleteCaroline
Glad I'm not the only one :) We'll have to swap lists over coffee soon!
DeleteSome of your resolutions mesh with some of mine. Wonder if there's a way we can work on them together -- apparently collaborative resolutions stick better.
ReplyDeleteAnd about the reading -- it's addictive. A few years ago, I decided to try for 40, and things kind of spun out of control, and it kind of took over my life. It's like heroin, except that you don't do it with friends ;)
Yes! Just sent you an email.
Delete