Friday, January 6, 2012

Dignified Transfer

Yesterday, J sent me an entry from his journal, which I thought was really moving, and he's granted me permission to post it here. I think his writing speaks for itself--

"Spent the day (long day) getting caught up at work. Just a day and a half away, and the emails/correspondence were out of control when I returned. Lots still to be done. But: I had to make some time for personal things. And one of those was to finally attend a 'ramp ceremony.' I've been meaning to attend one for a long time, but the timing never quite worked out. Part of the issue is that most of the other emails were less invites and more an obligatory "all hands" email saying effectively: come out if you really want to...but you're not welcome. And part of it was that I just never found/made time to go. So glad I finally did! There were literally hundreds of men and women--from all services, some civilians, and some Brits. And we all came to pay our respects to a few fallen heroes. They were Air Force, as it turns out. EODs (Editor's Note: Explosive Ordnance Disposal). And they gave it their all.

Very touching ceremony. We line up in two columns near the ramp, shivering in the cold, and uncomfortable with the anticipation of what was coming. And then we fall into a two-abreast column. We now march softly, quietly, but with the scuffle of boots on loose pebbles. Then we enter the ramp, and the scuffle of pebbles disappears amid the soft tread of hundreds of boots on clean runway. We form up on either side of the ominously waiting C-130, a tight formation, but mixed with scattered pockets of Marine, AF, Army, Navy, and Civie colors. There we wait, in two solid blocks of tense and shivering solemnity. Sniffles whisper back and forth from both sides of the formation as we face each other quietly. Then a command rings out clearly, calling us to attention, and in unison we snap to attention. We then pray and salute slowly together as, one-by-one, the Airmen are carried by their comrades into the cargo hold of the Herc. No fanfare. No talk of brave deeds. Only the quiet, solemn farewell from those of us who spent the last hour praying, reflecting, and willing that their sacrifice could be made worthwhile. The numbing cold somehow makes the feeling of death more powerful, meaningful, real. God look after them tonight. God bless their families and keep them strong. And may God bring peace and happiness to the Afghan people, on whose behalf these men died."

No comments:

Post a Comment