Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lucky to Be Alive

Someone was watching over me today.

I was driving to Denver on I-76 (yes, driving--I've actually re-learned to drive) in my in-laws' Dodge pickup truck when somewhere near Wiggins, CO, I noticed that my steering wheel started acting strangely and pulling me all over the place. Before I could slow down and pull over, the truck careened to the left and I couldn't control the wheel. The truck flipped over twice, over the median, and into the left lane of eastbound traffic. According to the police officers who showed up at the scene, one of the rear tires blew out, which is why I couldn't keep control of the vehicle.

Blessedly, I'm alive, with relatively minor injuries. My shoulder is pretty badly scraped from the seatbelt, my left index finger is sprained and swollen (though not broken, I'm pretty sure), and I have a large knob and bruises on my forehead and right hand...oops, just noticed some scrapes near my ear too. But it could have been so much worse.

I am so lucky that the accident occurred near a gas station and not on a lonely stretch of highway. I'm lucky that a man working at the gas station ran across the interstate to see if I was alright. I'm lucky that no one happened to be in the left lane of I-76 East when I landed in oncoming traffic. I'm lucky that I landed right side up. For all these things, I am so thankful.

I'm still slightly shaken and I'm typing this entry with one hand, so I should probably go to bed and get some rest. I can't reiterate this enough--keep your loved ones close and hug them often.

1 comment:

  1. Holy shit!! Glad to hear you're okay after that terrifying ordeal...

    ReplyDelete