I've spent the last 36 hours in a bit of a fog, having not yet fully recovered from J's and my whirlwind, four day trip to Reno and Yosemite National Park. It was a great time, despite all of the travel involved, and I'm so glad we were able to see and do so much in such a short period. Plus, if you can survive a twelve hour drive with your boyfriend, his sister, and his parents, you can survive anything. I say that in jest, because truthfully, I had a lot of fun roadtripping with J's family.
The main purpose of our trip westward was to attend the wedding of J's cousin, but J figured that it'd also be a good time for me to meet his paternal grandparents who live in Nevada, hence the flying in and out of Reno. I was slightly apprehensive, I'll be honest. I'd already met Grandma D, J's maternal grandmother, on a previous trip to Denver, but Grandma D is a sweet, somewhat loopy old lady who welcomes pretty much anyone into the family. That's always felt a little weird to me--with my parents and relatives, you have to earn their respect and demonstrate that you'll do right by their son or daughter. But that's not Grandma D's style, and to each her own, I suppose.
Grandpa and Grandma P, by contrast, are hard drinking, chainsmoking, libertarian, blunt, take-no-bullshit ranchers who have fought the federal government and who have been known to make disparaging comments about people of other ethnicities. They're suspicious of outsiders and have made no bones about their disdain for certain of their children's and grandchildren's significant others. So imagine my surprise when I walked into the room and Grandma P greeted me by giving me a big hug and saying, "I've been waiting to meet you for a long time." I was completely taken aback. It seems that J's parents had told her about me and had sent pictures at her request. Apparently, it also helped that I'm well-educated, low-maintenance, practical, and not scared of snakes. I guess being un-girly does have its benefits.
So I got along great with Grandpa and Grandma P--not only did we all have a fun and frequently hilarious dinner, but J and I spent some solo time with them the next morning both before and after J's parents and sister flew back to Denver. Clouds of cigarette smoke aside, I really loved hanging out with them, hearing about their family history, and talking with them about J's and my plans for the future. They are lovely, wonderful people, full of life and wit and affection for each other. Don't get me wrong--they're still very much crotchety old folks, full of bluster and sarcasm and intolerant of silliness and stupidity, but that's what I love about them. There's a strength and independence deep within them that I admire. Grandma P and I had a long conversation in which we discussed our love of the outdoors, our practical sensibilities, and our shared values that ranching life embodies. Grandpa P told me all about the Nevada terrain and extended an invitation to visit anytime; J and I hope to make a trip out there soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment